Both Sides Now 7: DeNatured explores how artists are interpreting different forms of environment, from real to virtual to the spaces in between. It attempts to reconsider the evolving notion of environments and (meta)universes, via recent work by artists and filmmakers.
Through Both Sides Now 7, we examine how artists are disrupting, commenting upon, and engaging with virtual worlds, environmentalism, and the coming metaverse.
The programme is the seventh edition of a long-term project that proposes re-readings of artists’ moving image from China, the UK and beyond. In this new edition, videoclub (UK) and Videotage (HK) bring together international artists from the fields of film & video with screenings in the UK and Hong Kong between May and June 2022.
Read the full curatorial text for the programme by downloading the file here: BOTH SIDES NOW 7 CURATORIAL TEXT.
Click here for more information about the films (programme notes) and artists, and to watch individual films.
- AL+AL, Hard Drive (A:), 8 mins, 2004
- Astrid Feringa and Jean Baptiste Castel, This is not the Amazon, 4:56 mins, 2019
- Danni Zheng, Mineral Wasteland, 4:30 mins, 2021
- Alex May, A Kolkata, 6:36 mins, 2021
- LIN Tzu-Huan, Online Funeral Service I – Tamara, 10 mins, 2015
- JUAN Poyuan, It was just a virtual kiss, 10:05 mins, 2020
- HU Rui, Soon It Will Be Deep Enough, 4:04 mins, 2019
- Lawrence Lek, SoMA (Extract from AIDOL, 2019), 7:46 mins, 2019
關於彼岸觀自在 About Both Sides Now
Both Sides Now is a tactical programme partnership between Videotage (HK) and videoclub (UK). Which uses contemporary and historical film and video work to explore developments within the culture and society of Hong Kong, China, and the UK, and beyond.