Call for artists’ films
videoclub has joined forces with The Basement to present new artists’ film and video as part of a new music and film evening The Basement is presenting entitled Jukebox Fury. This brand new monthly night will showcase new music and films and celebrate the marriage of sound and vision.
The night will sit somewhere between a pop-up gig and a secret guerrilla cinema, with each night curated by a guest musical collective, with films selected by videoclub. We want to encourage cross-pollination between film and music audiences, showing films that work within the context of live music.
There are three contexts within which we are looking for work to show:
- MICRO-CINEMA: We will be setting up some micro cinemas in secret corners of the venue, to showcase short films in timed screenings. These will be subject to ambient noise from live music playing, so please be aware that they should not rely heavily on their own audio or dialogue. Films should be ten minutes or less.
- PUBLIC SPACES: We are looking for films for public spaces, to be looped throughout the evening in either the bar area or alongside the musicians in the main space. These pieces should be at least ten minutes long but will not be played with any audio. We are looking for films that are not reliant on sound, or are silent, and that would present well in public spaces.
- LIVE SOUNDTRACKING: Thirdly, there will be a live soundtrack project taking place in The Pit (The Basement’s auditorium space), where two or three musicians will interpret their own soundtrack to short pieces of film. Submissions should be in the region of five to ten minutes in length.
More information about Jukebox Fury events can be found on The Basement’s What’s On page.
There will be a monthly deadline for film submissions – films may however be considered for future events and may not be programmed into the month submitted for. Go to the How to submit page for submission form and terms and conditions.
- March deadline: 22 March 2012
- April deadline: 15 April 2012
- June deadline: 15 May 2012
Artists will receive two free tickets to the event they are screening at.
Jukebox Fury is a monthly event – dates are:
- 30 March 2012, 7:30pm till late, £6 / £4 – to buy tickets: The Basement’s What’s On page.
- 27 April 2012, 7:30pm till late, £6 / £4 – to buy tickets: The Basement’s What’s On page.
- 01 June 2012, 7:30pm till late, £6 / £4 – to buy tickets: The Basement’s What’s On page.
Jukebox Fury will take place at The Basement, 24 Kensington Street, Brighton BN1 4AJ